10 Ways To Lose Friends and Alienate People
I have written quite a bit on the skill sets needed for effective communication and amicable interaction. So, if you have applied these techniques consistently and genuinely without success. perhaps we should take a look at some of the common mistakes people make that may cause them to alienate others.
How to lose friends and alienate people.
1. Criticize. Identify every area of need in the work and person of the other person. Point out the mistakes others make in a public and open manner.
2. Condemn. Assign blame to someone (anyone) any time things do not go exactly as planned.
3. Complain. Complain about the weather, the room color, the carpet, the airconditioning and the general state of affairs.
4. Be unappreciative. Never say thank you or acknowledge anyone for anything of quality they have contributed.
5. Be insincere. The only way to alienate more people than be unappreciative is to be insincere or sarcastic in your expression of appreciation.
6. Be aloof and uninterested. Focus only on your own interests and maintain an air of superiority around everyone you encounter.
7. Frown. Never, ever smile.
8. Never use the other persons name when you speak with them. Always refer to the other person without using their name, or mispronounce their name frequently. If they correct you, respond with, "Yeah, okay... whatever."
9. Use the time when the other person is speaking to plan your next remark. Completely ignore what they are saying to plan your own next sarcastic or clever comment.
10. Never admit your errors. Under no circumstances should you ever consider the possibility that you could be wrong. Even when you are presented with inescapable evidence that you are not correct, maintain your position by attacking the other individual on a personal level.
Implementation of these strategies should assure you of a lot of quiet time and will most likely get you a private room on any company outing. At least on any company out you are invited to.