Your Own Maladaptive Behavior
First of all, what is maladaptive behavior?
There is no universally accepted definition. So, it may be easier to decide what maladaptive behaviors consist of.
Maladaptive behaviors consist of:
- Behaviors destructive to professional identity
- Behaviors neglecting personal health
- Behavior detrimental to professional growth
- Poor or inadequate behaviors for adapting to change
How do you can you conduct a functional behavior assessment to determine whether your behaviors are maladaptive?
- Do you take steps to avoid being overcome with anxiety at work?
- Do you maintain a positive attitude at work?
- Do you seek physical activity and exercise?
- Do you avoid self medicate (alcohol, etc) to overcome stress at work?
- Do you offer input into your allocated workload?
- Do you offer input into your workpace?
- Do you offer input into your work schedule?
- Do you offer input into your desired career path?
- Do you seek clarity as to you job role?
- Do you seek opportunities to interact with others?
- Do you seek to make your work personally meaningful?
- Do you seek to have input into the decisions of your organization?
- Do you seek out opportunities for professional growth and training?
- Do you prepare in advance for impending changes in the organization?
- Do you avoid injecting negativity and complaints into the workplace?